I have been trying recipes from other bloggers and other cooking recipes. I decided to share them on my blog. The first one I am sharing is the recipe for broken wheat upma kozhukattai from Subbu’s Kitchen. My mom recommended this dish after trying it. I had broken wheat sitting in my pantry. So I tried it and I loved it. I have made it twice already. Click here for the recipe.
Hi! I make a trip to Dollar tree every month. I have decided to blog about the things I got from Dollar tree.So here is my first haul for the month of June.
1. Plant pots – Since we have a decent sized yard now we are experimenting with gardening. We have planted vegetables and fruits. So I needed a few pots for that.
2. Its summer break for my daughter I was coming up with ideas to keep her occupied. She is already into coloring and drawing. I thought I will do something to engage both my kids. So here are the things I got for them. I shall post pictures of what I did with them later.
The water shooter thing was $9.99 for 2 at Costco. My kids would play with them for a few days and then they would be long forgotten. So I decided to pick them up from dollar tree.
3. How could I pass something that’s this cute right? We are in process of decorating our living room. I thought I could keep them on the side table. These are 4 different pieces put together.
4. I got a spiderman brush and this floss packet for my kids. Apparently my son used the brush before I could take a picture.
5. I sometime buy snacks from dollar tree if it has brand name. I found this tea and thought will give it a try.
6. I also ended up getting some office supplies. I have seen people haul the chalk marker but never seen it in any of the dollar trees I go to. I couldn’t pass it when I found these. And ofcourse I got a couple of father’s day cards 2 for a $1.
That’s pretty much it. I am excited to work on the projects I have for my kids. Will update soon! Takecare and happy summer!
Hey there! I am back with a DIY project. I always collect glass jars and empty aluminum tins hoping I could re-purpose them for something. I have made couple of crocheted pen holders before. Recently I tried out something with the inexpensive duck tape I got from the dollar tree.
Here is a picture of crocheted pen/pencil holder
Here is the how I made the easy pen/pencil holder.
I have been in hibernation for sometime now. Since spring is here. I am back again. We have moved again. Not to different city but to different house. Now I have to start everything from scratch. I thought I would take you through the process. First thing I am tackling now is my medicine closet. It also has our girly stuffs. Here is picture of how it looked before I started everything. I will post the WIP in my next post. Stay tuned!
My experiment with oats have been very safe. I add oats as a substitute for rice in my idli/dosa batter. I am not a big fan of the fruit flavored oats that we get here. So I wanted to try if I can make a savory dish out of it. The result was good. Here is the recipe.
- 1 cup plain oats
- 1-2 green chilies
- 1/8 Teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon of cooking oil
- 1 cup of finely chopped onions and red bell pepper
- 4-5 cups of water
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the cumin seeds to the oil and let it sizzle.
- Now add the turmeric powder and stir in the onions and bell peppers. Add salt and curry powder.
- Saute them until they are soft.
- Add the oats to the vegetables and mix everything together.
- Pour in the water and stir well. Let it simmer until the oats is cooked. (You may need to add more water based on the required consistency).
- Turn off the heat and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of ground black pepper.
Hope you enjoy this as much as my son did.🙂.
Quick&easy dishes has become a norm at our house these days. I always make something healthy to eat after our tea. Couscous salad is one such dish. Here is how I make it.
- 2 Cups couscous
- 2-3 cocktail cucumbers chopped
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 Roma tomato finely chopped
- Juice of a lemon
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 Green chilies finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Craisins
- Salt to taste
Put couscous in a container with tight lid. Boil 2 cups of water and add salt to it. Pour the water to the couscous and stir it well with a spoon. Close the container and let it sit for 2-3 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients (but for the lemon juice). Mix everything together well using a fork. Now add the lemon juice and give a good stir. The salad is ready.
- Sliced black olives
- Cooked garbanzo beans
DISCLAIMER: I am not a very organized person. But when I do something I try to do it right. I am trying to get organized and manage time wisely but having 2 kids at home makes it a lot more difficult for me.
When we first bought our house (which we eventually sold), I wanted to get everything in order. So I started to browse Youtube for organization videos. I found lot of tips and tricks from some of the youtubers. I also implemented some techniques in my kitchen. But before I could finish my organization we had to move. So here I am in my new home (we are renting). I don’t have the perfect gourmet kitchen. But its big enough for me with sufficient storage. So I am back to the start. My husband and I have decided to take one room every week. This weekend is going to be the kitchen. I shall post pictures of some of the tools that maximize the storage space of my kitchen cabinets.
Since I have already started this post I would like to share one item I use in my kitchen. Here is the picture.
I bought this magnetic stand years back. I didn’t get a chance to use it in my previous house. So when I moved here the first thing I asked my husband to do is to mount it on my kitchen wall. I use this for my can openers, knifes, peelers and graters. This works out great for me since these are tools I use for my everyday cooking and I don’t have to open drawers every time. This may look too cluttered for some people but since its mounted just below kitchen cabinet its kind of hidden.
If you have similar ideas do share them with me. Thanks for reading! Have a great day!